As a mom with a toddler diagnosed at the age of 2 with an egg allergy, I was defeated and had to change my thinking process and the reality of living an egg-free lifestyle started to dawn on me. After cow’s milk, hen’s egg allergy is the second most common food allergy in infants and young children. Eggs are in so many foods. When you’ or your children are allergic to them, you need to know what to look for on food labels and what you can use instead when you cook or bake – then you can help your child to understand the importance of an egg-free diet, making your child’s life happier and healthier.
Baking with toddlers can be lots of fun and rather messy! But among all the mess, there are so many benefits that toddlers gain from the whole baking experience.
Some of the benefits of baking with kids include:
- Bilateral coordination
- Eye-hand coordination
- Hand strengthening
- Spatial perceptions
- Planning skills
Today we will be baking egg-free chocolate brownies, and they are delicious!
- All-purpose flour, 1 cup
- Powdered sugar, ¾ cup
- Butter, 1/3 cup at room temperature
- Cocoa powder, 1/3 cup
- Thick plain yogurt, ½ cup
- Dark cooking chocolate, 1/3 cup
- Baking powder, 1.5 tsp
- Salt, a pinch
- Vanilla essence, 1 tsp
- Water, ¾ cup
- In a bowl, sift together all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, a pinch of salt and baking powder.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and yogurt together along with vanilla essence. Add the dry ingredient mix.
- Add water and gently fold the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients. Add the grated/chopped dark chocolate and fold it in.
- Pour the brownie batter into the baking tray and tap it gently to avoid any air bubbles.
- Set in the oven at 160C for 35 minutes or until a tester inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven and let it cool down. Invert onto plate and cut equal squares.
- Serve hot or cold with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or custard.
Look how your toddler can live as much life as possible with you being cautious and reading labels. Enjoy your time in the kitchen with your toddler, you are building memories that will last forever.